How to Help Your Kids Manage the Divorce Transition Even when everything goes as well as it can, divorce requires everyone in the family to adjust to some big changes. If you and your spouse can keep the turbulence down,...
Topics in Parenting Plans Most Mediated Parenting Plans address at least two topics: decision making and the parenting schedule. The first, whether one parent will make most of the decisions alone or the two parents will always confer with each...
Monthly Budgets Child Support . This list is a planning tool for separated or divorced parents to use to help figure out how much money needs to be transferred from one parent to the other so that the children will be well...
Financial Planning for the Future of Your Special Needs Child by guest author Jackie Waters Planning for the future is always important, but especially so when you have a child with special needs. You never know what bumps lie in...
When Mediation Is Not Enough, Part II In Part I on this topic, I described divorced co-parents who were fighting about the co-parenting schedule for their kids. It seemed unlikely that they would be willing to resolve their major dispute...
When Mediation Is Not Enough, Part I Jack and Ann* have been divorced for a year and a half but are still fighting about their co-parenting schedule (still called child custody in courtrooms). This is a very big problem for...
Coming Out: An Interview with Rick Clemons Here are some things I learned from Rick Clemons during our Family Matters interview Nov. 10, 2015. Coming out as a gay person is a journey, not a one time event. It starts with recognizing...
How To Handle Tension at Big Family Holiday Gatherings When the extended family gets together for a holiday, amidst the fun, awkward quirks and tense conflicts sometimes come out. This year may be worse than most. The recent election brought...
How Loving Parents Sometimes Hurt Their Children by Fighting for Custody One caveat as we begin: If one parent is actually abusive or otherwise harmful to the children, then the better parent's avoiding the custody fight will not put the...
Recent Blog Posts
- Long distance co-parenting January 5, 2018
- How to Help Your Kids Manage the Divorce Transition November 30, 2017
- Topics in Parenting Plans November 25, 2017
- Budget List September 5, 2017
- Financial Planning for the Future of Your Special Needs Child April 12, 2017
- About Us 3,681 views
- Too Poor to Get Divorced? Unlikely. 1,768 views
- Fees for Services 1,688 views
- Services 1,585 views
- Separation and Reconciliation Agreements 1,583 views
- Spousal Support in Virginia 1,456 views
- Stories from Family Mediation 1,436 views
- Divorce and Co-Parenting Support Groups in Northern Virginia 1,435 views
- Family Mediation Makes Creative, Detailed Solutions Possible 1,332 views
- Managing Anger Triggered by Divorce 1,323 views