Healing During and After Divorce Divorce often involves riding an emotional roller coaster: fear, anger, relief, denial, grief, exhilaration, guilt, blame, despair, anxiety, and, one hopes, belief in your ability to heal and build a good life for yourself and...
Things I Learned Recently from a Judge This includes comments about adultery, custody, spousal support, absentee parents, counseling, spying on your partner's email, and property distribution. Adultery may have almost no effect on a judge’s decisions about custody and visitation....
Can You Afford to Get Divorced? A happy marriage is wonderful. Unfortunately, some marriages just don't work out. A surprising number are secretly abusive. Sometimes people just grow apart and cannot find their way to get back together. If they...
A Quick Do-It-Yourself Divorce I just heard from a client I worked with in June. She and her husband were in a very difficult situation. They owed much more than their house was worth, they could not sell the house...
How to Get Divorced without Going Broke or Going Crazy My article about this is on OurMomSpot and is as useful to dads as to moms.
What parenting schedule is best for your kids? With a little education, many divorcing couples can resolve many questions on their own. For example, it may be obvious to one couple that, because their two apartments are a quarter of...
When Mediation Fails: Custody Battles I have lost count of the sad, sad stories I have heard about people who tried mediation but failed to reach an agreement. Sometimes I get really angry at one or both lawyers involved...
Dad's Visitation Rights -- A Surprise from a Judge After mediation failed to produce an agreement about visitation, I recently sat through a court hearing to see what the judge would decide. The dad did not see his daughter for...
Heroic Moms A lot of moms do things that are really hard — driving long distances and giving up holidays so that their kids can also have their dads fully involved in their lives, tolerating the presence of dad’s new...
Recent Blog Posts
- Long distance co-parenting January 5, 2018
- How to Help Your Kids Manage the Divorce Transition November 30, 2017
- Topics in Parenting Plans November 25, 2017
- Budget List September 5, 2017
- Financial Planning for the Future of Your Special Needs Child April 12, 2017
- About Us 3,672 views
- Too Poor to Get Divorced? Unlikely. 1,766 views
- Fees for Services 1,688 views
- Services 1,585 views
- Separation and Reconciliation Agreements 1,582 views
- Spousal Support in Virginia 1,455 views
- Stories from Family Mediation 1,436 views
- Divorce and Co-Parenting Support Groups in Northern Virginia 1,433 views
- Family Mediation Makes Creative, Detailed Solutions Possible 1,332 views
- Managing Anger Triggered by Divorce 1,323 views