Sometimes all that parents who never married each other need is a written agreement about their parenting plan. Where will the kids be for school days and nights? What about weekends, school breaks, summers, and holidays? Having a written agreement reduces misunderstandings and future disputes. It makes planning special events easier for both parents and for their children.
Sometimes circumstances change and parents who have been divorced for more than a year need to modify their parenting plan. If they need any professional assistance with negotiations, mediation is the most cooperative and least distressing process for re-evaluating and revising the schedule.
The new parenting plan can be incorporated into a court order if either party asks the court to do that. Most courts still use the unfriendly terms “custody” and “visitation” when writing orders about parenting schedules.
The author, Virginia L. Colin, Ph.D., is a Professional Family Mediator certified by the Virginia Supreme Court. She is not an attorney or a therapist. This article is for informational purposes only. Nothing here should be construed as legal advice.
For a free consultation about whether family mediation would be helpful for your family, contact Dr. Colin at mediatorQ@gmail.com or 703.864.2101.
Recent Blog Posts
- Long distance co-parenting January 5, 2018
- How to Help Your Kids Manage the Divorce Transition November 30, 2017
- Topics in Parenting Plans November 25, 2017
- Budget List September 5, 2017
- Financial Planning for the Future of Your Special Needs Child April 12, 2017
- About Us 3,672 views
- Too Poor to Get Divorced? Unlikely. 1,766 views
- Fees for Services 1,688 views
- Services 1,585 views
- Separation and Reconciliation Agreements 1,582 views
- Spousal Support in Virginia 1,455 views
- Stories from Family Mediation 1,436 views
- Divorce and Co-Parenting Support Groups in Northern Virginia 1,433 views
- Family Mediation Makes Creative, Detailed Solutions Possible 1,332 views
- Managing Anger Triggered by Divorce 1,323 views